Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jump on the Bandwagon!

Well, after months of reading my friend's blogs on a regular basis, I have decided to create my own blog!  No, it will not be as witty as Jordan's, or as informative as Katie's, or as supportive as Courtman's, but it will be an outlet for me to talk about the daily adventures and experiences in my life- from the never dull moments at the Y, to the things kids tell me at school that make me laugh and cry, to the joys and frustrations of growing up.  So, let the fun begin!

Today, while lifeguarding at the Y, I got to talking to a 14 year old that spent yesterday and today in the pool unsupervised.  Granted, if you are 12 or older you are allowed to swim unsupervised, but usually an adult-type person is somewhere exercising at the Y.  Not this kid.  His mom dropped him off for 4 hours while she went to work at Home Deopt.  So I'm pretty much the only person for the kid to talk to since everyone else at the pool is swimming laps.  He informed me he is from Idaho, where he lives with his dad, and is in town visiting his mom.  That sounds normal right?  Well as we continued our conversation he started telling me about his dad.  His dad has 4 kids with 4 different moms!  His mom is 29, he is 14, so that means she had him when she was 15!!!  His dad was 18 at the time.  If that's not young enough, he tells me that his older sister's mom was 13 when she had her and the dad was like 16!!  I didn't get the scoop about the other two siblings, but I don't think I really want to know.  He was a super nice kid and seemed fairly normal, but whoa! what a dad he has...You never know what kind of people you'll meet at the Shades Valley Y while you are being over-worked and under-paid.

3 comments:

  1. I. Heart. You.

    Hahahahaha - that is NUTS and I love so much that I can hear you telling this story! Welcome to blogger world =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and we wonder why the world is crazy? It is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Missa! So glad to hear you are a blogger. Welcome!! I can't believe that kids mom was so young... you do seem to have a lot of stories from working there :)

    ReplyDelete